MANAGER, EXTERNAL AFFAIRS AND OPERATIONS
The Methanol Institute (MI) serves as the trade association for the global methanol industry. Methanol is a key chemical commodity and emerging energy fuel. MI maintains offices in Washington (Old Town Alexandria), Singapore and Brussels. The Manager, External Affairs and Operations is based in the Washington office and reports to the Acting CEO. The Washington Office focuses on legislative/regulatory affairs, product stewardship, and market development initiatives in the Americas and Europe. We are seeking a dynamic self-started with experience from Capitol Hill or in trade associations.
Job Responsibilities / Primary Duties
- Assist in legislative and regulatory activities of international trade association, focusing on Americas and Europe.
- Serve as association’s lead Congressional liaison.
- Manage consultants and direct research activities in support of trade association objectives.
- Assist in coordinating activities of member-driven committees.
- Responsible for all communications initiatives including: media relations; weekly newsletter publication; fact sheets; web site management; and social media (blog, Linkedin, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube).
- Represent association at industry conferences.
- Plan and co-ordinate quarterly Board Meeting at off-site locations, and conference call meetings of member committees;
- Assist in liaison with member companies and partners, planning relevant workshops/conferences, and developing presentations.
- Day-to-day management of office operations, communications, and financial/accounting.
- Maintain contact database.
- Intern recruitment and management.
- Staff the office on a full-time basis, including when Acting CEO is on business travel.
Skills and Qualifications
- At least a bachelor’s degree.
- At least 5 years of work experience.
- Capitol Hill or trade association experience preferred.
- MS Office proficient (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PDF).
- Demonstrated proficiency in web site management and social media.
- Excellent communication skills.
Office management will include: monitoring existing computer and communication systems to ensure optimal performance; maintaining vendor relationships; and working with MI’s outside accounting firm and book-keeper on all invoicing. It is anticipated that the Manager, External Affairs and Operations will spend 70% of time on substantive issues, and 30% on administrative duties.
The ability to organize, prioritize and assume increasingly greater responsibility with minimum supervision will be important qualifications the Manager, External Affairs and Operations brings to this position.
Compensation will be based on level of experience. Full benefits package included.
Please send letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.